Skin and scalp benefits of Colloidal Oatmeal
Sometimes, something that has been used for years and years is still used today for a reason. Oats or Avena sativa, is one of these things, having been used as a skincare ingredient for centuries. Of course, technology and science have allowed us to refine how we use oats, giving us the Colloidal Oatmeal that is used in skincare today. The term ‘Colloidal’ means super fine particles which are dispersed throughout another substance. In the case of Colloidal Oatmeal we are talking about finely ground whole oat kernels that are no more than 0.15 mm big.DermaVeeb® contains OatActiv+™, a 100% Colloidal Oatmeal, multi-action ingredient that provides six skincare benefits:
- Hydrates the skin thanks to proteins which act as a natural emulsifier and humectant, to soften the skin
- Prevents skin moisture loss thanks to polysaccharides & lipids which act as a barrier to pool moisture in the skin
- Soothes skin prone to itch and irritation due to antioxidants, vitamins & flavonoids.
- Protects the skin barrier thanks to lipids which restore the fatty matrix between skin cells to help replenish the skin barrier
- Balances the skin’s normal pH levels with lipids*
- Supports the skin’s natural microbiome with the prebiotic properties of oat.
Moisturisers and cleansers containing Colloidal Oatmeal have been found to help relieve dry, itchy and sensitive skin. Research has shown that Colloidal Oatmeal contains elements like avenanthramides which soothe itch and irritation, high concentrations of starch and beta-glucan which helps reduce skin water loss and saponins which help cleanse the skin.
DermaVeen® washes, lotions and creams are pH balanced
Ways to include Colloidal Oatmeal in your hair and skin care routines
When it comes to our skin, we all have different needs and sensitivities. DermaVeen with 100% natural Colloidal Oatmeal is available in various products from pH balanced soap-free cleansing washes, skin protectant moisturising creams to scalp protectant oatmeal shampoo and conditioner. DermaVeen has specially formulated a range of products that are suitable for various skin types – from very dry and sensitive skin to skin conditions like eczema-prone skin:
- Sensitive Relief Eczema range – helps relieve itch and acute irritation
- Sensitive Relief Calmexa range – calms irritation, helps relieve dry, itchy and eczema-prone skin.
- Extra Hydration range – provides intense moisturisation for dry and extra dry skin.
- Daily Nourish range – helps calm and nourish sensitive and dry skin.
- Hair range – helps calm and nourish dry sensitive scalp.
- Face range – specially formulated for the face to nourish and hydrate sensitive skin.
- Extra Gentle Baby range – soothes and protects delicate baby skin.
Explore all DermaVeen product ranges here, and let your skin see and feel the DermaVeen difference.
Frequently asked questions about Colloidal Oatmeal
The term ‘Colloidal’ means super fine particles which are dispersed throughout another substance. In the case of Colloidal Oatmeal we are talking about finely ground whole oat kernels that are no more than 0.15 mm big.
Oatmeal skincare products can be used on all skin types.
Yes. Colloidal Oatmeal can form a protective layer that not only reduces skin water loss, but also soothes, hydrates and nourishes skin.
Colloidal Oatmeal (super fine particles of oatmeal suspended in a cream, ointment or lotion) has been shown to contain elements that help support the protective barrier of eczema-prone skin. Research has shown that Colloidal Oatmeal contains elements like avenanthramides which soothe itch and irritation, high concentrations of starch and beta-glucan which helps reduce skin water loss and saponins which help cleanse the skin.
Yes, the DermaVeen range containing Colloidal Oatmeal is suitable for use in infants, adults and elderly.